Top 9 of 2009
December 30, 2009 § Leave a comment
A new year always brings a countdown of some variety, right!?
Here are my Top 9 Green Efforts of 2009 (in no particular order)…
1. Recycling bin in the bathroom. It’s amazing how much toiletry packaging shouldn’t be thrown away!
2. Reusable coffee-sleeve. Bring your own cup-sleeve for coffee on the fly. I finally found a use for my old tennis wristbands. Major chains like Starbucks and Caribou sell these now.
3. Reusable totes. I’ve mentioned this before. I like to keep mine in my car or folded up in my purse so that I never forget it.
4. Dryer-less. I line dry all of my clothes now. This is by far the hardest change I have had to adapt to this year. Pros: colors are bright & fabrics less worn. Cons: no fabric softener makes for stiff clothing & waiting until the last minute is not longer an option!
5. Recycled art. I started this project months ago, primarily out of boredom, and it has grown to cover my entire hallway. Found on Design Sponge. I get tons of compliments on it. Someone even asked me if I could make them one.
6. Natural cleaning products. I love Mrs. Meyers Clean Day products- they smell so good! They come in scents of lemon verbena, basil, lavender, geranium, baby blossom, and Iowa pine.
7. Reusable water bottles. The larger ones are hard to clean- I recommend a baby bottle brush.
8. (CSA) Community Supported Agriculture. This has exposed me to vegetables I never knew existed, plus it’s making me healthier! My new favorite veggie has to be fennel– it tastes like licorice but its savory and wonderful. Google “CSA” and your city for an organization near you.
9. Unplug everything. I have become a little anal-retentive when it comes to unplugging my electronics now, but that and using florescent light bulbs has brought my electricity bill down to about $13 a month.